Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult
Series: Yes, The Iron Fey
Pages: Paperback 363
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Where I got it: Borrowed
Summary from Goodreads:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
It seems like everyone and their dog has read and loved this book. Well me and my kitten are not impressed.
Let me give you the run down:
1. Love Triangle? Duh.
2. Evil Witch(es)? Check.
3. Too Stupid to Live MC? Check.
4. Damsel in Distress MC? Check.
5. Smart Ass Love Interest? Check.
6. Almost Gets Raped to Bring the Two Closer? Check.
7. Author Drops Other Love Interest? Check.
8. Crappy Romance? Check.
9. Others I Could Mention But Would Completely Spoil What Tiny Suspense There is? Check. Check. Check.
Pretty much everything I hate about a book is in this book. And not done well. If the book is good I can deal with those, this book is not. The overall high rating on this book honestly surprises me. The writing style is done in a way I detest. You don't need 15 words to describe a normal tree. It's overly flowery and so annoying. I skipped so many paragraphs and pages because it was too much.
1.First and foremost we have the love triangle. Ah YA books and love triangles go together like milk and Pepsi. You don't want it, yet it's infamous. I hate this stupid overdone plot device. Stop it. Right now.
2. Second is the Evil Witches. They suck. Neither get any development and they both aren't interesting. Which I can see for Mab because it's the first book. But Titaian? Please. She's about as frightening as a corgi. You know what, pretty much everyone's characterization sucked.
3. Holy crap Meghan is a complete idiot. There is no other way to put it. When someone tells you not to make deals or say thank you in a world you're not accustomed to you do it. But not Meghan. She makes deals with EVERYBODY. And the one time she tried to be clever is the one time she shouldn't have. There are other instances too but the book sucked and I quit taking notes on her idiocracy.
4. If she wasn't getting rescued every other page than I am a monkey's uncle.
5. Hey I love a good smart ass. But Ash and Puck suck at it. They aren't smart or funny. They are just lame and annoying.
6. This speaks for itself.
7. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Whatever. I feel like the author kill Puck later on anyway.
8. Oh my God. Well it wasn't instalove. But Meghan and Ash have no chemistry. At all. They might as well be trees on opposite sides of a forest. I think I would have preferred instalove.
9. I'm mainly talking about the ending.
I am so glad I didn't pay for this book. It was almost a DNF but I bargained with myself that if I could just finish this book than I got to reread The Gallagher Girls Series.